Sunday, April 11, 2010

Yesterday I was on my way to a photo shoot and I was in an area that is somewhat unfamiliar to me. I knew where I was going but I had driven farther than I thought I should have. So I was worried that maybe I had passed it up without realizing it. I decided that at the next stop light I was going to roll down my window and ask the person next to me if I was still going in the right direction. I knew that they were local to that area because I had checked their license plate.
So we pull up to the light, side by side. Our cars were almost close enough that I could reach out and touch theirs. I rolled my window down. I smiled my can-you-help-me-smile and waved my hand to get the attention of the woman in the passenger seat.
I was able to get her attention. Unfortunately, as she was looking at me she had this confused and almost panicked look on her face. It was as if she was thinking, "Oh my gosh! She's looking at me! She's flagging at me! What do I do? I can't talk to her, I don't know her!" So she turned to the driver and said something to him. Then they both sat there with this uncomfortable look on their faces and ignored me until the light turned green. Then they sped away.
That story probably makes you think something like, "Wow! What a rude and selfish couple of people!" And to tell you the truth that is exactly what I thought. But then HE spoke. And I realized that I have that feeling from time to time when I am afraid I am going to have to interact with someone. I have even seen people that I actually do know and avoided them just to keep from having to stop and spend a few minutes chatting with them. If you are honest with yourself, I'm sure you can say that you have done the same thing.
HE reminded me of the many times in the Bible when Jesus stopped to show kindness to someone; or when He gave his time to help those who gathered around Him begging for a miracle.
Jesus was asked for help every time He was near people. They even made special trips from far away. They did desperate and crazy things just to get close enough to Him to ask for His help. People begged more than travel information from Jesus. They needed mountains moved! They needed the impossible to become possible for them.
It would have been completely understandable if Jesus had yelled to the masses, "Give me a break! I'm just trying to go for a walk here!" Or if He had told the desperate traveler, "I'm off duty today. I need a rest. Come back tomorrow!" But He never did that. There were times when He went off alone or with His closest followers to rest and spend time with His Father. But He never turned away anyone who needed His help. His first recorded miracle happened at a wedding! He wasn't "on duty" there. He was merely a guest at the celebration. But still He took time to help.
How sad it is that we are so unlike Him. We have become so detached from Him and from each other as a society that not only do we refuse to help each other, but we are too afraid to even talk to each other! I think that we are afraid that if we get involved with each other, even on the most basic of levels, something may be required of us. We may be asked to help; to show compassion; to care.
I am reminded of the story of the good Samaritan and I wonder how many of us would be like the Samaritan and how many would cross on the other side of the road?
Today, I encourage you to interact! Smile at a stranger! Say hello to a few people. Ask, "how are you?" and really listen to what they say... care about someone! Encourage someone! I promise that when you do, HE will encourage you! I don't know about you, but I NEED His encouragement!
So, get out there and be encouraged with me today!

Trusting in HIM,
Shirley

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it is hard to get out of our "comfort zone" and talk to others. I'm trying to learn to be obedient and speak when God tells me to. You never do know when a kind word might just be an answer to someone's prayer.

    You must post some of your pictures. I'd love to see them!

    Blessings,
    Amy Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know He has answered my prayers in that way before. And many times I have been told that He sent confirmation through something that was hard for me to say.

    As for my pictures, you can see them at my other FB page. Search for Picture It Photography. Become a fan!
    Trusting in HIM,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete